Monday, May 5, 2008

sorry...

for my lack of blogging... been super duper busy the last two weeks. Two major events took place in the last two weekends, that needed all of my attention. One was a event for a non-profit I have worked for over the past ten years One Circle it was an awesome event and I am very thankful for all my wonderful volunteers that helped me pull off yet another successful event - I work as their events manager.

then this past weekend I fulfilled a life long dream - I LECTURED AT A MAJOR UNIVERSITY! UCLA! I didn't sleep for weeks leading up to this, as I am sure you can imagine. The night before was the worst (my poor mother who was sharing a hotel room with me) I kept getting up turning on the lights and writing down the latest grand thing that came to mind. It wasn't PERFECT, but I didn't expect it to be. Because I was not a senior lecturer, I didn't get a tech support person, so I had to figure out UCLA's super high-tech system on my own, I did okay! I was sick to my stomach and just wanted to barf... I tried trust me, but nothing would come out, I thought it would make me less nervous. I thought I was going to pass out for the 1.5 hours I was up in front of everyone. Thankfully I was able to talk my mother into not coming in to listen, I just knew that if I looked out and saw someone I knew that I wouldn't be able to carry on... She won't admit this, but I think she sat outside and listened. About 20 people who were there came up afterwards and personally thanked me, that was cool and two people stayed to ask me further questions... even though the last 15 minutes I took questions from the group. Nearly 20 people took my business card... that makes me feel totally special. It wasn't a bust but any means, but I learned a lot and next time (if there ever is a next time) it will be better - you live and learn. My lecture was on Gross Motor Development in Infancy - I started off by sharing a picture with the group of me as a baby learning to walk - I think that helped me seem more personable to these people and less like someone lecturing at them.... I also had volunteers come up and try out being babies - that was totally fun for all!

I will write more when I have a chance to catch my breath and get back into the swing of a normal life (wait, what's that again?).

No comments: