Monday, November 10, 2008

make up, skin care and the like

My sister is pretty much the expert in this department. If she wasn't my sister and willing to share her wonderful knowledge with me, then I would be at a total loss. REALLY!

This weekend, my sister and I spent some time reading about new products - WE LOVE IT! While we were reading over the costumer reviews, I was reminded how clueless most people can be. (did you like how I didn't call people stupid, cause that's really what I was thinking - me trying to be nice, go me)

A few things you should know about make up and skin care before you try something new or write a review.

1. When you try something new, give it at least a month. REALLY! It takes time for your skin to adjust to something new or a change. People often say, but I break out so I stop - BAD IDEA! Now, I am not saying that if you break out so bad you end up in the hospital that you should keep taking the stuff. Every thing I try, I break out! I have super duper sensitive skin. What I have learned over the years (and thanks to my sister) is that my skin gets worse before it gets better. If you are not willing to give something a whole 30 days, at least give it a week.

2. DON'T TRY A BUNCH OF NEW THINGS AT ONCE! Do I need to repeat that? How on earth will you ever know what if anything worked well or didn't or if you are allergic to it. Give your skin time to adjust, people - it's the largest living organ of you body.

3. A face cleanser is often NOT, I repeat NOT a make up remover! There's a reason people invented make up remover, and no it was not just to sell you another product. You remove make up and then you use a face cleanser. Please stop bashing face cleansers for not removing your make up, it's not what they were invented for nor do they promise to do just that - READ.

Now, here's my shameless plug for Bare Escentuals! My sister and I LOVE THIS STUFF!
I will admit, I did not like it one bit the first time I tried it. It took me going in a few times, letting them know what I liked and didn't like about what I had tried, etc. for me to get what was right for my skin. Even with my sister and I being related our skin is not the same - what works for her, does not work well for me. Ask questions, research and experiment.

Okay, getting off my soap box now. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

This is going to be a random comment unrelated to the topic, but that should fit right in. Every time I see Taylor Swift I think of your niece that sings. Don't they look similar or am I remembering the picture I saw years ago incorrectly? I keep meaning to ask you about it but I always forget.